Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Claustrophobia: Fear of Enclosed Spaces

Claustrophobia is one of the more common phobias. It is the fear of enclosed spaces. It is classified as a situational phobia because it is triggered by a certain situation.

Claustrophobia usually develops as the result of a traumatic event during childhood such as being trapped in a small space or other events later on in adulthood that result in being confined to a small space.

The symptoms of claustrophobia include sweating, accelerated heartbeat, nausea, fainting, light headedness, shaking, hyperventilation and fear of actual imminent physical harm.

I personally know the symptoms of claustrophobia all too well. I’ve suffered from it for as long as I can remember. It’s irritating to say the least. I hate going to the doctor because I hate being in those little rooms with the door closed. I can’t sleep with my bedroom door closed, I have to open the blinds and curtains as soon as I wake-up and the inner door of my house as to be open while I’m awake. I don’t even like closing the bathroom door, especially when I’m taking a shower.

Would anyone else with this phobia like to share their triggers?

1 comments:

Allexus said...

Yes. I would. And it sucks. I'm almost 15, don't know exactly when and how it developed; but it seems to get worse. I'm uncomfortable going into 1 person bathrooms with the locks, when i'm in a porta potty, it feels like im going to DIE or soneone will tip me over before I manage to even faint...I AVOID ELEVATORS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!! My worst nightmare? Is RIDING in an elevator not getting stuck in one. O, I didn't know this 'til last night, (july 6th) but I cant go into a 2 person tent either...oh it was just terrifying!!! My best friend was looking at me like I was really losing it:( :( . U know what I did tho? I explained to her about it and left the tent...i took a break. Went back in the house, regained my sanity, looked at myself in the mirror and told myself I AM STRONGER THAN MY PHOBIA. And u know what? I faced it head on. U have to do it otherwise u never become a stronger person. Was I scared? HELL YEAH!!! I was practically crying! I felt so small and alone. But I went back in that tent...and im glad I did. I was uncomfortable, but I got my brain to tell my nerves this was no DANGER. (it really felt like it was). But I had fun. Because I LITERALLY at some points forgot about my fear!! Sometimes, I gazed out the tent net longingly and I'd start to sweat. But really, those are ur STRONGEST moments. Because u ARE FACING YOUR FEAR, NOT RUNNING FROM IT. I was with someone i trusted. Thats important too. Cuz sometimes it makes a difference rather than facing ur phobia alone. Point is, open up to the people u trust. Let them know!!! If they're ur friends, they'll accept u for ur phobia. AND I learned u need not always run from ur claustrophobia. SOMETIMES, U NEED TO FACE IT:/ if I ran away from every deathly panic attack I suffered,.........lets just say I wouldnt know where I was anymore. I can relate to what ur saying...i admired your story...best of wishes to u! ALLEXUS

Total Pageviews