Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Social Phobia: The Fear of Being Evaluated Negatively in Social Situations


One of the most common phobias is Social phobia and it is the 3rd largest mental health problem in the world. Social phobia, also known as social anxiety, is the irrational fear of being evaluated negatively in social situations. Approximately 7% of the population suffers from this phobia.

Those who suffer from Social phobia do not like to be out in public because they always feel like people are watching them. They know that they are not really being watched, but they can’t make that feeling stop. They also don’t like to do anything that involves talking to someone else whether it be in person or on the phone because they are afraid they are going to make a fool out of themselves. Making phone calls, going to the grocery store, going to a party or even going to church can be horrible experiences for these people.

Social phobia is a very troubling phobia because those who suffer from it have a serious inability to relax. They cannot enjoy life, because all they know is extreme anxiety. If you suffer from Social phobia please share your story.

3 comments:

Ellery said...

I've suffered from Social phobia since Middle School. I rarely even leave my home anymore, due to the anxiety I constantly suffer while out in public. I'm now in Highschool, as a Junior, and at times it seems to peak and get worse to the point that I think I can hear people saying things but they aren't actually saying anything at all. It's a rather difficult phobia to deal with and talk about with anyone, because most simply subscribe that I throw myself in to situations which tend to make it ten times as worse, such as forcing me in to a phone conversation. I've had several anxiety attacks as well. Like I said before, it's a very difficult phobia to deal with.

Anonymous said...

This may sound like I'm joking, but I am very serious. Just leaving this comment is difficult because of my fear of being evaluated. I constantly feel like everything I do is under the closest of scrutiny. I am most comfortable sitting here alone, hiding behind my computer.

Andrea said...

I'm doing a research paper on this topic and I would love to speak to anyone who has this.. I won't judge :)

Total Pageviews