Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Claustrophobia: Fear of Enclosed Spaces

Claustrophobia is one of the more common phobias. It is the fear of enclosed spaces. It is classified as a situational phobia because it is triggered by a certain situation.

Claustrophobia usually develops as the result of a traumatic event during childhood such as being trapped in a small space or other events later on in adulthood that result in being confined to a small space.

The symptoms of claustrophobia include sweating, accelerated heartbeat, nausea, fainting, light headedness, shaking, hyperventilation and fear of actual imminent physical harm.

I personally know the symptoms of claustrophobia all too well. I’ve suffered from it for as long as I can remember. It’s irritating to say the least. I hate going to the doctor because I hate being in those little rooms with the door closed. I can’t sleep with my bedroom door closed, I have to open the blinds and curtains as soon as I wake-up and the inner door of my house as to be open while I’m awake. I don’t even like closing the bathroom door, especially when I’m taking a shower.

Would anyone else with this phobia like to share their triggers?

1 comments:

Total Pageviews