Sunday, April 26, 2009

Equinophobia: The Fear of Horses


Equinophobia is the fear of horses. Horses make me nervous, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying that I have a phobia towards them. I can be around them and even touch them as long as I’m not by myself, but I won’t ride them. I use to not be afraid of them at all, but when I was little I was put on a very unhappy horse and its restlessness terrified me and I never rode again.

There are many people who have Equinophobia and even the thought of a horse sends them into a panic. They cannot stand to be around any horse even if it is the kindest, most gentle horse in the world. They will avoid any type of contact with horses and stables. Equinophobes may also fear other hoofed animals such as donkeys, mules and ponies.

Possible triggers of Equinophobia are falling off a horse, being bitten or kicked by a horse and meeting an aggressive horse for the first time. Equinophobia is also known as Hippophobia.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews