Friday, November 20, 2009

Ichthyophobia: The Fear of Fish


Ichthyophobia is the irrational and persistent fear of fish. The phobia can relate to the fear of dead fish, the fear of eating fish or just an overall fear of fish. Those who suffer from this phobia may also have a fear of the ocean as well

I found a great article that was written by someone who suffers from Ichthyophobia. She shares her personal experiences with the phobia. Read it here.

Do you suffer from Ichthyophobia? Please share your story. What caused this irrational fear of fish and how does it affect your life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's called facing your fear Mr. or Miss Anonymous. Obviously you have another fear of revealing who you are when you call people assholes. I also have pics on the fears of fire and clowns, which are phobias I have. I had to scroll through tons of pics to find the ones I needed and while it was difficult I faced it and conquered it. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

emma said...

well, i think i do have an incontrolable fear of fish. it all started when i was about 6 years old, i was with my parents at the seaside, somewhere in greece. the small gulf there was such a quiet place, with few people, so the sea was quite clean and peaceful and of course there were lots of fish near the shore. i thought it was disgusting and ran out of the water and kept screaming.
for the next 8 years I think, i just couldn't and didn't want to swim in the sea, but i have no problem with pools and i am a good swimmer, so for me it has nothing to do with the fear of water.
anyway, in the recent years i've been trying to overcome my fear, i sometimes take baths in the sea water, but usually only if i get to swim far from the shore (from the pier) so as to not see the fish.
i don't really know if there is a real solution to it, maybe if i wore a scuba dive gear i wouldn't be so afraid, but i haven't tried that yet.
for all i know so far, it is one of my biggest irrational fears...

Total Pageviews