Friday, March 4, 2011

Acousticophobia: The Fear of Noise


Acousticophobia is the persistent and irrational fear of noise.  It’s funny my best friend and I were talking about something similar to this just last night. She was making fun of me because I jump every time the phone rings or toast pops out of the toaster. Those who have this phobia startle very easy with loud noises.  A simple noise can cause extreme anxiety.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you suffer from Acousticophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My fear of noise started when I was very young. A clock ticking,leaky faucet,jet noise. If the furance makes a noise. It has really effected my whole life. I want to get better ,

Milly

Adirondackcountrygal said...

I have a serious problem with the noise of people eating, smacking, crunching, animals licking themselves, dripping or mucous noises. Balloons popping or unexpected loud noises. It causes problems for me in social situations especially when I have to leave because the noises are driving me nuts.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

I suffer from this. Just found out the name of it tonight. I hate the sounds of people eating. If they smack or chew loudly or crunch I just have to leave the room. Restaurants are not bad for me because there is enough noise around me to distract me. I don't like the sound of animals licking themselves, dripping water or mucous sounds. Also afraid of blow up balloons because I'm afraid they will pop. I'm 44 years old and this problem is getting worse as I get older.

Total Pageviews