Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Apeirophobia: Infinity


Apeirophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of infinity or living forever.  Some who suffer from this phobia fear the idea of living on forever in heaven.  They would prefer to know that they will completely stop existing after death.  There is a high risk of suicide with Apeirophobia.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you suffer from Apeirophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had apeirophobia since was 10yo or so. Its not infinity per se that scares me. Its eternity. The time aspect of it. I'm a Christian, so the worst part (apart from the panic attacks) is how difficult it is to read and study scripture. My faith is the trigger! Furthermore, its frustrating how misunderstood it is. I'm a Christian. And to describe this to other Christians is like saying I don't want to go to heaven. It's an utterly ridiculous assumption, but there it is. The best way I can describe the panic attack is this: An extremely intense fear or dread that eternity never ends. There's no escaping forever. No sense of finality. There's no conclusion. The story has no ending. To say its an unbearable burden would be an understatement. I live in fear of the next panic attack. They all end the same, with me running like a madman. Why? I dont know. To where? Not a clue. But I always run. I always shake with fear. I have to get very focused on the here and now to regain control. Unfortunately, it also causes me to make unhealthy choices sometimes. I just need something "earthy(?)" afterward. Something tangible, finite. I could go on, but it already feels like I'm babbling. I know now, others suffer from this fear. I am sorry for that. I do hope they will come to Christ. If forever is inevitable, at least be sure where you'll spend it. Scripture tells us that "...No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love him." It's not a cure, but it's a comfort. Thanks for the space.

Total Pageviews