Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tocophobia: The Fear of Pregnancy or Childbirth


Tocophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of pregnancy and/or childbirth.  Those who suffer from this phobia may fear what it will do to their body such as stretch marks and weight gain.  They may also fear life-threatening complications.  Tocophobia is also known as Tokophobia and it has become extremely common.
A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you suffer from Tocophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

1 comments:

binzy29 said...

Tocophobia is very real. I mostly fear the labor and delivery part more so than the actual pregnancy. I am 29 and I am coming to terms with the fact that I am either going to have children or I am not. I would like to have a child. My fears are not being able to manage the pain or having a rare complication that results in the death of me or my baby. My spouse is very supporitive and wants a child but is also okay with being childfree.

Total Pageviews