Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bad Days: Dealing with Phobias

I can usually go for at least a week at a time without my phobias disrupting my life, but sometimes it seems like my phobias are kicked into overdrive and I can't get a moment of peace.

My major phobia is pyrophobia, the fear of fire. The smallest trigger can keep me buggin' for weeks at a time. During these times I smell smoke when there is nothing, I'm paranoid about leaving the stove or anything else turned on and I hate leaving the house because I'm scared it will catch on fire while I'm gone. Recently there was an explosion not far from where I live and it shook my house. Out of curiosity I had to watch the video of it and I can't get it out of my head now.

I understand why I fear fire, but I don't understand why I take my fear to the level that I do. I have a new heater that works perfectly fine, but it still scares me because the old one caught on fire. Christmas makes me nervous because of all the lights on the tree and the house. I won't leave the dryer on when I leave the house and if the AC makes a weird noise I freak out because I think it's going to catch on fire. It's just not normal and the older I get the more I hate it.

The only thing I can do is take it one day at a time. I try not to hide from my phobias. It only makes it worse. I feel that every day I am able to face my phobias, is one more day of freedom I have from them.

What are your phobias and how do they affect your life? If anyone has any tips on how to deal with specific phobias please let us know. The only people who understand phobias are those of us who have them.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews