Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dromophobia: The Fear of Crossing Streets

Dromophobia is the irrational and extreme fear of crossing streets. Some may see this phobia as one of the more benign ones, but take a moment and imagine never crossing another street. See how it interupts your daily activities.

This phobia can be caused by a traumatic event occurring while crossing the street. Examples of this are almost or getting ran over by a vehicle or witnessing someone getting ran over. Embarassing moments while crossing the street may also trigger this phobia. I slipped and literally slid across the street in front of my school when I was in the 5th grade. I was so embarrassed that I didn't want to have to cross the street again because I was afraid I would fall again. I also never wore the shoes that I was wearing that day again. I wouldn't say that I have this phobia, but till this day I hate crossing the street.

If you have Dromophobia please share your story. How does it affect your life and what triggered it?

2 comments:

Total Pageviews