Monday, June 14, 2010

Didaskaleinophobia: The Fear of Going to School


The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment TherapyDidaskaleinophobia is the persistent and irrational fear of going to school.  This phobia is better known as separation anxiety.  A child with this phobia will try every possible way to avoid going to school.  I know this all too well from personal experience.  I gave my mom hell.  I was always sick, I was hurt or I didn’t get enough sleep.  I tried it all, usually it didn’t work, and she would drag me to school kicking and screaming. 

Didaskaleinophobia can be caused by not wanting to leave a parent, changing schools, or anything that can cause immense stress on a child.  Children aren’t capable of handling stressful situations and this can lead to anxiety disorders that turn into a fear of going to school.  I was bullied almost every day and that compounded with my parents’ divorce and chronic pain, so school was the last place I wanted to be.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you have Didaskaleinophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

1 comments:

Ann said...

I agree, both my daughter and i have phobias about going around other people. Both of us has been diagnosed as the problem being from what happened in our early years. The bullying at school, the name calling etc. My grandson is having a hard time to go to school and missed most of last year because of it. The doctors and teachers and the mental health councelor thinks that he can overcome it easlily. Unfortunatly that was the belief of other generations and both my daughter and i are on odsp now because of it. I don't want him to end up the same way. If anyone is having this same problem i would love to hear from them. The world needs to judge every person separatly instead of by the book. We are all individual and have different fears and medical problems. my email is ann_lachapelle@yahoo.ca

Total Pageviews