Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dishabiliophobia: The Fear of Undressing Infront of Someone

Phobias And How To Overcome Them: Understanding And Beating Your FearsDishabiliophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of undressing in front of someone.  The main trigger of this phobia is being uncomfortable with your body.  Many people, regardless of their shape or size dislike the way they look naked.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you have Dihabiliophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only found out a couple of days ago that this is a recognised phobia. I am now mid thirties (male) but my problem started when I was about 13. I had a skin problem, like acne but worse and it could come up in any part of my body. I was sent to the local hospital for treatment - some sort of x-ray treatment, I think, though I'm not really sure. Anyway, I had to strip off completely for this treatment, which was administered the first time by a youngish female. Having reached puberty fairly recently, I can still remember the absolute horror that I felt when I had to srip off. I suppose I felt humiliated. I felt that I looked stupid. I was afraid of getting an erection. When she smiled at me I was sure she was amused. I had to go several times and it was a different woman each time. My embarassment was so extreme that I remember my whole body shaking for some time after each treatment. I would have stopped going except that my Mum went with me each time, though she didn't go into the treatment room. Ever since then, I have felt really embarassed in medicals etc and in relationships, I can't completely relax - I try to avoid my partner seeing me completely naked. I can't talk about it so it continues to be a problem. This is the first time I've ever told anyone and I can only do it anonymousely.

Total Pageviews