Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bufonophobia: The Fear of Toads


Bufonophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of toads.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you suffer from Bufonophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

1 comments:

Julianne said...

I have had Bufonophobia my entire life. As a child, I was not fond of toads but I could catch them at our pond if I had a net. As I grew up I started becoming more and more afraid of them. Their look, the way they moved, everything. I'm 20 now and I run whenever I get close to a toad. I was mowing the lawn the other day when the ridinng lawnmower stalled. Right next to a toad. I was crying and panicing because I felt as if I couldn't get off the mower but being near the toad scared me to death. My mom was near by and yelled at me for not trying to fix the mower. She believes I can "get over" this fear if I tried hard enough. This is really bothering me, I feel ashamed. I can't enjoy summer on my farm and I can't enjoy walking with my friends at school, if I see a pine cone or something the wrong way and it looks like a toad, I jump, then pretend it didn't happen because my friends don't think it's serious.

Total Pageviews