Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lilapsophobia: The Fear of Tornadoes and Hurricanes

Lilapsophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of tornadoes and hurricanes. Tornadoes have been in the news a lot over the last few weeks and I can’t imagine having to go through what the people in the path of these storms have had to go through. The devastation and destruction is absolutely unbelievable. Many of these people will suffer from Lilapsophobia . Same goes for many of the hurricane survivors. Unfortunately many of the people who watched the coverage of all these storms may also begin to suffer from this phobia. They start realizing that the same thing could happen where they live and they dwell on it day after day until their fear is out of control.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons. The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread. Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you suffer from Lilapsophobia? Please share your story. How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

4 comments:

gracelandgirl75 said...

I know this phobia has taken over my life lately and I don't know why..I am dreading each day that I hear that we are in the risk of severe weather..i obsess about the weather...please help me

gracelandgirl75 said...

please someone help me..i stay scared and it has taken over my life fearing tornadoes and I don't even know why..pleae help me

H. Role said...

My fear. My summertime dread. Fourteen year old boy. Riding on a train where the tracks were getting wet. Severe Midwestern storms wrap lighting around my head. Reminds me that Earth, is just a spinning molten mass...

Anonymous said...

I have severe Lilapsophobia (fear of tornados and hurricanes). In fact I am seeing a psychitrist because of an anxiety disorder. It started in october, when without any warning, on the highway in Virginia, a tornado touched down on our car. It was the most traumatic experiance in my entire life. Soon after that, a hurricanre hit, causing destuction to our shed. I am now going to summer camp in the height of tornado season, and it seems impossible that i can make it.

Total Pageviews