Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spectrophobia: The Fear of Ghosts


Spectrophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of ghosts.  I don’t fear ghosts as much as I have respect for them.  I won’t lie I do freak out when I encounter spirits and I encounter them on a regular basis at my work.  After a while you learn to just ignore them and go on with your day.  Most mean no harm, but I’ve encountered a couple that I’m afraid of and if I have an up close encounter with one I will most definitely develop this phobia.  Close encounters with ghosts are the main cause of this phobia, but it can also be caused by stories and the fear of the unknown.
A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you suffer from Spectrophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life? 

0 comments:

Total Pageviews