Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Ophthalmophobia: The Fear of Being Stared At


Ophthalmophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of being stared at.  I absolutely hate being stared at, especially when I’m out in public and I can feel eyes on me. When people I know stare at me I feel like if they stare long enough they’ll notice all my flaws.  I wouldn’t say it’s at phobia status yet, but I can definitely understand how it could be.
A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you suffer from Ophthalmophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

0 comments:

Total Pageviews