Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Optophobia: The Fear of Opening One's Eyes


Optophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of opening one’s eyes.  Most people have had at least one occasion where they have experienced the fear of opening their eyes.  I know it’s happened to me several times.  Sometimes when I’m trying to fall asleep I’ll get a feeling that someone is in the room and I’m afraid to open my eyes to check.  This is one of the phobias that can be completely life altering.  I have experienced only seconds at a time of this fear.  I can’t imagine if it lasted any longer or become a permanent fear. 
A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you suffer from Optophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

0 comments:

Total Pageviews