Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cnidophobia: The Fear of Stings

AloneCnidophobia is the persistent and irrational fear of stings. Those with this phobia are terrified of being stung by anything.  Summer months are especially difficult for them because of all the bees and other insects that come out when the weather starts getting warmer.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you have Cnidophobia? Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect you?


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been terrified of anything that stings since I was little. I don't know when it started but it gets worse and better as the years go by. In 6th grade, there was a wasp's nest by our door and yellow jackets that swarmed nearby. I refused to go out unless it was early morning or late evening.
I find being outside with wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets isn't as bad as being indoors with them dive bombing and flying up against windows and the ceiling buzzing. I am not afraid of the pain of the sting, I think I'm more afraid of being attacked by a weapon wielded by something smaller and faster than me.
This is a crippling fear from about March to November, especially in the months of August and September when yellow jackets swarm.
I avoid the worst by just leaving the area when stinging insects enter. In school it was difficult because the window would be open and hornets would come in and start zooming down and buzzing around my head. When I feel trapped and I can't run away my heart starts racing and I start crying and hyper ventilating.
I love the outdoors but I don't get to enjoy it because I am afraid. Picnics are torture so I don't participate. Hiking in the woods, canoe trips, camping are all things that I enjoy but am afraid to do because I am afraid of coming in contact with them.
I don't know where it comes from. I don't ever remember being afraid of bees when I was in early elementary school. I can't mark when it started or why. I have never been stung in my recollection. I don't want to spend my life afraid.

I used to be afraid of needles too but a I trained myself to enjoy them. Now I am a phlebotomist. What will I do when I have kids? What about an outdoor wedding? Will I choose to live in a place lacking in stinging insects.

Total Pageviews