Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pluviophobia: The Fear of Rain or of Being Rained On


Pluviophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of rain or of being rained on.  I had this phobia when I was really young.  My parents had to wrap me in a blanket from head to toe and carry me out if it was raining or I would scream and cry like someone was killing me.  It passed as I got older and now I love going out when it’s raining.  Some people aren’t so lucky and still have to deal with this phobia as adults.  You could also say that cats have Pluviophobia.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you suffer from Pluviophobia ?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

0 comments:

Total Pageviews