Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ranidaphobia: The Fear of Frogs

Ranidaphobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of frogs.  I can understand this one,  but I definitely don't have it.  I have a huge fascination with frogs.  Ceramic ones and yes, even real ones.  I will run outside after it rains and try to catch one.  I know a lot of people who collect clowns and it makes me cringe, but I collect frogs so now I know that there's someone out there who would cringe at the thought of that.
The Gift of Fear

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you have Ranidaphobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

4 comments:

Amie said...

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE frogs because I am terrified of them. The statues don't bother me but the nasty slimy hippity hoppity creatures kill me.

I am a big fan of monsoon season I love the rain, but with it comes one of my phobias. I live across the street from the open and live desert so when it rains my neighborhood has frogs. I knew I didn't like them but back in '07 I found out that I had a phobia.

I was coming home noticed that there were some frogs on the street as I was driving my truck. When I turned on my brights I saw a modern day plague happening in my neighborhood and front yard. I started to shake and cry and have a panic attack just from the frogs touching my truck. Then I realized that I had to go in my house and I lost it. I sat in my car for close to an hour when the amount of frogs died down.

Unfortunately it is currently monsoon season. Fortunately it hasn't rained in a week

anneliese said...

i HATE frogs i am absolutly terrified!!! i have been afriad of frogs for as long as i can remember. i am not sure why i wish i did :(

maryjane said...

I have this fear too. Read in wiki that it's often caused by seeing frogs dieing violently, so i guess i saw some freshly killed by a car in my village when i was a kid, because i can't even remember the time i didn't have this phobia. And it really makes my life worse, because i love nature, lakes, rivers, rains and so on, but i'm stressed even if it's sunny and i'm in a forest. hopefully, i'll fight this someday.

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you are going through and I don't feel so crazy anymore knowing that there's other people who have the same phobia as me. It seriously disrupts my life....I won't visit anyones home after dark that has frogs and I just moved to a townhome community and I haven't seen frogs yet and I will feel like a fool asking my neighbors if there are frogs here . I lived at a place where I never saw one. My parents house has a ton of them all around it. I get panic attacks, in fact I feel one coming on now as I write about
it. I don't know where it comes from but I know I need help

Total Pageviews