Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Melophobia: The Fear of Music

Melophobia is the abnormal and irrational fear of Music.  This phobia is possibly linked to an extreme hatred of music that then leads to a fear.   


A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you suffer from Melophobia?  If you do please share your story.  It makes it easier for others to understand the complexity of phobias.  How does Melophobia affect your life and how was it triggered?  There's not a lot of information on this phobia, so it's up to those of you who have it, to educate others.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a VERY strong aversion to music. It's mostly the rhythmic component that I go to great lengths to avoid, although the sound level is also a factor. I watch muted television for fear that I will hear a theme song or music on a commercial. My family are all musicians and my children make their living as musicians. I hate that i cannot listen to their CDs and go to their gigs. I used to sing in a band and play keyboards and loved it. Now I am even afraid of stopping at a red light for fear I'll be next to someone who's car is vibrating from the unnerving bass line on their radio. Don't know how or why it started. No clue.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Total Pageviews