Monday, January 23, 2012

Gephyrophobia: The Fear of Crossing Bridges


Gephyrophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of crossing bridges.  Those who suffer from this phobia will go miles out of their way to avoid bridges.  Gephyrophobia is so common that there are a lot of places that have big bridges have tow trucks or chauffeurs in place to get panic-stricken drivers across the bridge.  Gephyrophobia is also known as Gephydrophobia and Gephysrophobia.
A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.
Do you suffer from Gephyrophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes!!! I live in New York now and always have to cross several bridges to visit my family and come
back. It's horrible. I shut my eyes and feel like I can't breathe. It's awful. I did not used to have this fear.

Total Pageviews