Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spheksophobia: The Fear of Wasps


Spheksophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of wasps.  This phobia is closely related to Apiphobia, the fear of bees.  Spheksophobia can be caused by the fear of an allergic reaction if stung or being stung before.  This phobia can also be caused by seeing someone being stung by wasps.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you suffer from Spheksophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

2 comments:

bram said...

I've been afraid of wasps as long as i can remember lately it's been better, now i don't run away screaming (wich is very embarrising) but i'm still very afraid of them usually my body tenses up when i see 1 and i feel like i have to puke also i don't do it any more but i still wan't to run away. are there any ways to make me stop being so afraid of the pesky little things?

KF said...

Hello! Now that Fall is here and the weather is cooling off, my anxiety can ease finally. I actually dread summer every year because of this nasty little monster.
I don't mind bees tho'. I know they don't WANT to sting since they'll die. Wasps can sting repeatedly and they often do so in groups, being attracted to the attack pheremone released during assault.
I'm not even allergic. I just hate the threat of it; the sound of the buzz, the way yellowjackets suddenly 'zoot' in front of my face, and they do like me, despite my wearing no perfume or bright clothing. I just must smell good to them or something because they find me before I'm aware of them.
It's my awareness of them which makes me afraid, not the other way around - I don't initially interest them with fear.
No beach picnics with watermelon and BBQ'd pork or candied salmon for me, thank you very much.

Total Pageviews