Friday, January 6, 2012

Brontophobia: The Fear of Thunder and Lightning


Brontophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of thunder and lightning.  This phobia usually begins during childhood.  Those who suffer from Brontophobia will do everything they can to avoid seeing and hearing thunder and lightning.  Brontophobia is also known as Tonitrophobia.

I had this one as a child.  I would start screaming and crying every time I heard loud thunder.  The lightning terrified me just as bad.  I’m not sure what changed, but now even though it still scares me a little, I’m totally fascinated by it.  I get excited when storms are in the forecast and I’m the weirdo standing outside in the middle of the yard while lightning is striking down everywhere.  My fear turned into fascination and I’m so glad it did.

A phobia is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities or persons.  The main symptom is an excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Other phobia symptoms include shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and an overall feeling of dread.  Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders.

Do you suffer from Brontophobia?  Please share your story.  How was it triggered and how does it affect your life?

0 comments:

Total Pageviews